Why I'm not a badass yet

In my imagination, before this trip, I thought I would be all things boat. All things Baja. All things badass.
I would change the fuel filters on my own, navigate with higher math, I would stalk the reefs with a speargun flung over my shoulder looking for things to kill and gut and feed to my family. I would also read the hardest books known to man. Authors deep and dry ( I  really did, I brought Aristotle with me!), I imagined I would devour Spanish, learn it quickly and speak it well and I would learn to read tablature and not just play the same six songs on my guitar over and over.
I would also write a novel and free dive to sixty feet and...Oh, God, the list goes on.
Jon still does everything on the boat that is cool or hard.
He stalks the reef and I don't gut the fish, unless I absolutely have to.
I've  suntanned and napped on deck and not been inspired to read anything but Captain Voss' Venturesome voyage and Kontiki and some paperbacks I found in a marina laundry, Phillip Roth and Stephen King and Brett Easton Ellis and I've slogged through a bunch of high brow science fiction and I've read Hunter's books when she was finished so we could talk about them, Island of the blue dolphin and the black pearl... and I still play the same six songs but now the kids know all the worlds to Marguritaville so everyone sings along.

4 comments:

  1. There is some quote of I-can't-remember-who explaining that when we try to measure up to others or to others' expectations, we cannot possibly find real innovation; we can't progress as individuals or as a culture. You rock. Who cares about Aristotle. You're being uniquely Suki, and nobody else is capable of that wonderful reality. And plenty of us are just so happy that you are who you are. Wherever you are. :--)

    ReplyDelete
  2. assistant to the sub-editorMay 20, 2012 at 9:08 AM

    Nothing, surely, could be more edifying nor more excellent as a soporific than the works of Clanash Farjeon. All worlds lead to Margaritaville!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome to have met you all.
    Lauren and I had a great time and we will be following your adventures.

    PS - I think Jon put LC's sun glasses somewhere to hid them from Hunter :)

    Anyway - we are off tomorrow back to Vancouver - safe travels and chat soon!

    Lauren and Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure if the first comment worked - but it basically said in brief:

    Jon stole my wife's sun glasses
    You have an amazing family
    Thank you for a great evening
    Safe travels
    And we will be following your adventures.

    Lauren and Steve

    ReplyDelete